An increasing number of conlangers and world builders have now published works based on their constructed languages and cultures. Some of these are collections of short fiction, while others are series of novels, while still others are works about the art of conlanging itself. This Article is intended to be a directory of the conlang-related published works of any member of the community who wishes to advertise the fact. Be it book, e-book, short movie, song, comic, anthology or scholarly work, we want to know what it is and how we can get hold of it! Also of interest here are works about the construction of languages and alternate worlds, but written by folks outside our immediate community.
- 1 Michael Adams
- 2 Jesse Bangs
- 3 William Barton
- 4 Chris Brown
- 5 John Woldemar Cowan
- 6 J.M. DeSantis
- 7 Scott Hamilton
- 8 Daniel Hicken
- 9 Sarah L. Higley
- 10 Jim Hopkins
- 11 D. R. Merrill
- 12 Monoba
- 13 Ruth S. Noel
- 14 Arika Okrent
- 15 David Peterson
- 16 John Quijada
- 17 Reyzadren
- 18 Stephen D. Rogers
- 19 Mark Rosenfelder
- 20 Lorinda J. Taylor
- 21 Alistair Young
Michael has published a book that explores a wide variety of invented languages. From Elvish to Klingon: Exploring Invented Languages.
William Baron is the author of Crimson Darkness which mainly focuses on the Semkanya conlang (a version of Japanese as I imagine it to be on another planet, in a different dimension, 15,500 years in the future). There are other natural language based conlangs in the story as well.
John Woldemar Cowan
John has published the grammar of the Lojban language. The Complete Lojban Language.
J.M. has published a comic book about his other world:
Scott is the creator of the language used by the Riddlesbrood Touring Theater Company.
Sarah L. Higley
Sarah has published a work on St. Hildegard of Bingen's conlang, Lingua Ignota. Hildegard of Bingen's Unknown Language.
Jim has published a book of poetry featuring his conlang Itlani. Eden's Day
D. R. Merrill
Monoba (active at CBB) has published a grammar of the Siwa language.
Ruth S. Noel
Ruth has published a book about J.R.R. Tolkien's languages. The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth.
Arika has published a book about the construction of languages. In the Land of Invented Languages
David is the creator of Dothraki, the language featured in the television series Game of Thrones.
David also has books out about Dothraki and language creation:
John is the author of the novel Beyond Antimony which features Ithkuil as a "paralinguistic interface" to a quantum computer. The novel is a sci-fi / political thriller exploring the philosophical implications of quantum physics. It is available at the bottom of any page on the Ithkuil website.
Reyzadren (username) published several books, written entirely in griuskant.
- griuskant as a foreign language. Griuskant textbook.
- vegler un roeter thiafbuanten. Translated novel: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
- fraeiyehkuthplud. Translated novel: A Christmas carol.
- naib un er. Translated novel: Of mice and men.
- toekam. Translated novel: Pygmalion.
- daezhkiroe. General fiction.
- deg gaeirae. General fiction.
- soizetyd riounds. Beginner storybook.
- dalkkubwae riounds. Beginner storybook.
Stephen D. Rogers
Stephen has published a dictionary that lists a large number of conlangs and short descriptions. A Dictionary of Made-Up Languages.
Mark has published several wonderful guides to the construction of languages and worlds.
- The Language Construction Kit (book) and The Language Construction Kit (ebook)
- The Language Construction Kitlet (ebook only)
- Advanced Language Construction
- The Planet Construction Kit.
Lorinda J. Taylor
Lorinda has published a series of novels detailing the adventures of an exo-linguist making first contact with a race of intelligent termites. They are available through Amazon and also Smashwords.
- The Termite Queen vol 1: The Speaking of the Dead
- The Termite Queen vol 2: The Wound that Has No Healing
- The Labors of Ki'shto'ba Huge-Head vol 1: The War of the Stolen Mother
- Monster Is in the Eye of the Beholder (book)
- Monster Is in the Eye of the Beholder (ebook).
Alistair has published two books about his Eldraeverse:
- Vignettes of the Star Empire (short fiction/metafiction)
- The Core War and Other Stories