Help:Nuts and bolts
This is a forum for technical questions (wiki-related or otherwise). If you have a question, please ask it under a new heading below, and an answer will be gotten to you when possible. Thanks!
What is constituted as acceptable use of this Wiki? For instance, Wikipedia is an encyclopedia about virtually anything but is not a dictionary; Conlang Wiki is not a place to host everything about a conlang rather it's more like a portal, etc.
- Well, it's meant to be mainly a place for people to present conlangs. That is, you can put as complete a grammar, lexicon, teach-yourself-whateverian, or phrasebook up here as you like. (Descriptions of concultures and related things also.)
- Also, I would like the wiki to become a place to present topics in linguistics and conculturing, especially for a creator's perspective: i.e., not just a textbook description of, say, parts of speech, but also how conlangers can build on it (what they need or don't need; how natlangs and other conlangs handle them, etc.)
- As for texts in conlangs, I'm not quite sure yet; clearly some illustrative texts would be allowed, although I'm not sure about, say, if someone wanted to undertake translating a Wikipedia and hosting here. [Not because of disapproval of such a project; I'd like to see/do such a thing myself. Mainly because I'm not sure about how page organization would/should be handled.]
- Suggestions of course are welcome; I don't intend to play GodKing here. —Muke Tever | ✎ 13:16, 9 Aug 2004 (PDT)
- Perhaps, via Talk:, this could be a place for discussion of in-construction conlangs as well? I have one of my own, and would like to discuss it with others even as I construct it. - 刘 (劉) 振霖 22:48, 9 Aug 2004 (PDT)
- I put together a short and not-yet-definitive page at FrathWiki:Goals (which at the moment basically reiterates what was said above). Suggestions are welcome. —Muke Tever | ✎ 19:36, 21 Aug 2004 (PDT)
Wikipedia and co. have moved to a newer MediaWiki.
- 刘 (劉) 振霖 08:54, 9 Aug 2004 (PDT)
- Yes, they have. But 1.3 is still beta, and as I am not yet well versed in the arcana of databases and the mediawiki software I remain somewhat insecure about the process of switching till a final release is made. (Perhaps if I had more technically-minded helpers around to keep up with things...) —Muke Tever | ✎ 13:16, 9 Aug 2004 (PDT)
- Well, they're up to 1.3.2, so I've upgraded. There may be bugs, as it seems some things that belong in the upgrade didn't happen (Template namespace initialization script, upgrading the database to its newest form) so I'm dealing with these by hand atm. Let me know if any other weirdness happens. —Muke Tever | ✎ 10:35, 6 Sep 2004 (PDT)
Broken search, fixed
HI, what do I need to do in order to get my uploaded ogg files to play? I have a new pc on vista. I had to install something on my old xp pc but cant remember what it was? Thanks Dayle
I have created a conscript for my conlang here on the wiki. How do I get it onto the wiki? I have an uploaded image of the conscript, but things would be easier if I could just type it in. Dayle