Conlang Relay 15/Prevli
by Roger Mills
kaŋ or suśtu g,i:mä
məriná mizent at givonta. usel duŋ zet diez ttamne. uśparne zetento duŋ yaśna, ŋok o tukpu hå zet biltuktaśte. uśturŋü zento bon nifar tturŋüt od y,üri. ŋo tuvnaga zetento kaŋalá hhimni di kaŋalá gozo, kaŋalá ye:mmípu niśtá. tafsuso nagbovon zet man ot sün,åt olta.
usel duŋ givonta or tavzumpü man okta. navge te hulhim zet. meŋgö u on keśtá nama ddiśkä. meŋgö u muhu äyva keśtá.
uśtuvbaśnak u tuvon neśóvnu ttate bak neždeenu ŋŋaro.
usel ya, mempun anertaner nagaŋgá zetento kahot hhimnit.
Observe dancers They have no plan They use no music, but just the sound of their own voices They do not learn the dance from (by means of) written instructions. But they can perform any step in any direction, whatever they wish.. They are dancing more precisely than all the others
There are no dancers more agile than these. They turn and gesture. It seems they are of one mind It appears to be very easy for them.
I cannot believe that there can be so much beauty from so little effort. It is not as if they are doing the same steps over and over.
Prevli is a VSO language.(Adverbials may precede the verb.) There is a lot of metathesis and consequent allophony, much of which is not indicated here to avoid an unnecessarily complicated description. Note only:
- /s/ > [ś] before most cons, [ž] before a vd. stop.
- palatalized C are indicated with a following comma, e.g. “g,”. Sorry, there's nothing on-line.
May be translated 'probably..., may...', but in fact they are simply required in certain constructions involving doubt, questioning, lack of knowledge, hypotheticals etc.
Rel.Pron. must be the subject of the vb. in the RC; consequently the verb must sometimes be passive.
Alienable: Possessor + /dia+poss.sfx/ + possessed
- (optional PRON) Possessed+poss.sfx.
- Possessed+sfx + (Noun) possessor
There is no case marking; only plural is marked. Modifying adjectives precede the noun, and agree in number.
- simple, with intrans.vbs.; neuter “it” is not indicated
- compound Subj+Obj. with trans. vbs.; there are dative and passive-agent forms in the wordlist, actually Prep+Pron.
- (pl. at) marks animate DO
- /anid/ aner
- another, again;
- = aner te aner
- prep. from
- /basan/ baśna
- to believe
- voice (N, inalien.)
- a certain dance (traditional)
- (agt.noun) one who does this dance
- vb. to do the bon dance
- dee [de?e]
- little, little bit
- prep. to (direction)
- die+poss. marker of alienable possession
- /disak/ diśkä
- to intend, noml. ddiskä [(.)'d:iSk&]
- /duŋu/; no, none
- vb. there is; (irreal.) on; may sometimes = simply 'it is...'; with dative/possessive, 'to have....'
- to understand, pass. g,i:mä ['dZi:m&] /g-i-iham/
- /goza/ gozo
- N. direction
- same, own
- gesture (n, vb.)
- /inim/ imni
- to move: noml. hhimni ['ximni]
- -k (pron.sfx.)
- 1st pers.sing. (**Omitted from the version I sent to Kevin)
- thing, something
- whatever, any(thing) at all
- 3rd pl dative
- /madin/ marne
- observe, look at; imper. məriná
- part. than
- vb. to want; irreal. emmí [Em'bi], pass. ye:mmí
- conj. as if
- /menug/ meŋgö
- to seem appear
- compd. pron. 2s subj+3pl. obj.
- adv. very
- /nabig/ navge
- vb. to turn
- vb. to do, act, irreal. aŋgá
- pfx. of the progressive aspect “be...ing”
- NUM. one
- adv, prefix: so...
- neśóv so much...
- prep. by means of
- pron. 3rd pl. agent (passive)
- indicates partitive
- /ŋadu/ ŋaro
- vb. to try; noml.
- [(ə)'Ngaro] effort
- conj. but
- o, pl ot
- def. article
- /odi/ ore ~ or
- REL pronoun
- demonst. that, that one
- adj. all, pl. olta
- /padin/ parne
- to use
- Part. just, only
- 3d pl. possess. suffix
- /susa/ suso
- precise, exact
- /susut/ suśtu
- /suyan/ sün,å ['synjO]
- adj. other, different
- -ta ~ -t
- noun/adj. plural marker
- /tanim/ tamne
- to plan, design; noml. ttamne ['tsamne]
- /tati/ tate
- /tavu/ tav- ~ taf-
- comparative, 'more...'
- conj. and
- turŋü to learn noml.
- tturŋü ['tsurŋy]
- 'lesson, instruction'
- N. sound
- pfx. of the potential aspect: able to..., can...
- introduces complement clauses
- negator (the -s undergoes sandhi)
- part., indicates cleft sentence (in this text)
- /yasan/ yaśna
- N. music
- easy irreal. äyvá
- to write; pass. y,üri [žy'ri] (**I had “z,üri” in the version sent to Kevin)
- pron. 3pl.
- compd pron. 3pl subj+3sg obj.
- compd.pron. 3pl.subj+3pl.obj.
- /zunip/ zumpü
- skillful, agile
|Conlang Relay 15|
|What is a relay? • list of relays and participants •|