Conlang Relay 19/TIAL
English From TIAL
- Some time before the present, 2 stones were on the side of a hill.
- One of the stones says, "I wonder what's on the unseen side of the hill."
- The other of the stones says, "We'll never know."
- A bird and a small rat hear them and say, "Hey stones, we can go to the other side of the hill and return; then we'll tell you what we've seen so that you'll know."
- The 2 rocks agreed and the bird and the small rat went.
- After a little while, the bird comes back and says, "I've flown to the other side of the hill and I've seen wide fields, green valleys, and tall trees."
- The first stone says to the other, "I want to see that."
- The other stone says, "Because we can't travel, we're going to be sad."
- After a day, the small rat comes back and says, "I've walked to the other side of the hill but I've seen grass the same as the grass here; the same seeds, the same insects."
- The first stone says, "We have to see that."
- but the other says, "We're happy here; we don't want to travel."
- algan vanta ja, duo petro ana lato da yo kollino.
- uno do petro dica zo me mira ke ana no vidazo lato da kollino zo.
- altro do petro dica zo os ningan vasape zo.
- yo avyo i yo ratto pokino auda to i dica zo ave petri nas pota vade a altro lato da kollino i retre; can nas dica vas ke gevidaza nas par vas sape zo.
- petro duo oke i avyo i ratto pokino vade.
- posta poko avyo retre i dica zo me gevole a altro lato da kollino i gevida yo agro amplo, yo vallo verdo, i yo arbo alto zo.
- unabano petro dica altro zo me kera vida elo zo.
- altro petro dica zo koz os no pota viaje, os vatriste zo.
- posta dio ratto pokino retre i dica zo me geande a altro lato da kollino sol me gevida herbo sama eto herbo; grano samo, insekto samo zo.
- unabano petro dica zo os deba vida elo zo.
- sol altro dica zo os felice ete; os no kera viaje zo.
- a V at (locative), to (allative, dative)
- agr-o N field (agricultural)
- algan adv sometime
- alt-e V high
- altr-e V other
- ampl-e V wide, broad
- an-a V on
- and-e V walk
- arb-o N tree
- aud-a V hear
- ave intj greeting
- avy-o N bird
- can adv at such a time
- da V of (genitive)
- deb-a V should, must, owe
- dic-a V say, tell
- di-o N day (24 hours)
- do prep part _do_ whole
- du-o Q 2
- el-e det yonder, yon (spatial)
- et-e det here, this/these (spatial)
- felic-e V happy
- gran-o N seed
- herb-o N grass
- i conj and
- insekt-o N insect
- ja adv now
- ke pron what (interrogative)
- ker-a V want
- kollin-o N hill
- koz conj because (cause, reason)
- lat-o N side
- me pron I, me
- mir-a V look at, wonder about
- nas pron we, us (exclusive)
- ningan adv never
- no adv not, no
- ok-a V agree (with)
- os pron we, us (inclusive)
- par conj in order to, for (purpose)
- petr-o N rock, stone
- pokin-e V small
- pok-o Q few, little
- posta prep after
- pot-a V can, able to
- ratt-o N rat
- retr-e V return
- sam-a V same as, identical to
- sap-e V know (fact)
- sol conj but
- to det this/these (discourse determiner)
- trist-e V sad
- unaban-e V first
- un-o Q one
- vad-e V go, come
- vall-o N valley
- vanta prep before
- vas pron you (plural)
- verd-e V green
- viaj-e V travel
- vid-a V see
- vol-e V fly
- yo det indefinite article
- zo conj begins and ends quotation
TIAL Grammar Notes
TIAL is SVOP, with most noun modifiers following the noun. A number before the noun makes the phrase indefinite. TIAL doesn't inflect for tense or number.
Only one kind of genitive construction is used in this text:
Possessum da Possessor (objective genitive)
In TIAL, adjectives, most prepositions, and some adverbs are considered kinds of verbs. What's more, nouns take some of the same endings as verbs. These are
- -a verb, when an object (or complement) follows
- -e verb, when no object (or complement) follows
- -o noun or verb modifying noun or determiner
- -i vocative noun or modifier
Suffixes (before the ending)
- -az inverse or passive voice
- ge- retrospective aspect
- va- prospective aspect