Roguel is a heavily agglutinative conlang spoken in the western isles of Austronesia, a large archipelago (comparable to ATL's Indonesia), on the planet of Minerva (an earth-like planet). It is an umbrella term for several languages, including Littoral Roguel and Plains Roguel. The standard form, based on Central Roguel, the dialect of the capital Goretiko, is an official language of the Republic of Roguelia (alongside a form of Low German), with about 2.5 million first language speakers and over 6 million second language speakers.
It belongs to the Central subbranch, Central Roguelian branch of Roguelian family, part of Roguelian-Tayno-Paskhetsian stock, itself a part of the controversial West Austronesian phylum. Like other member of Central Roguelian branch it features noun incorporation, predominantly suffixing morphology, and has OVS as its predominant word order.
Its writing system (currently under construction) is a syllabary devised by Atesina Estova, the Chief of Nupovo in 1563, roughly modelled after the Smofian alphabet.
Phonology and Orthography
- /dz/ has a free variant [z], with which it is interchangeable. Word initially, /dz/ is more common.
- /c c' ɟ/ are being evolved into [tʃ tʃ' dʒ], with additional (more conservative) allophones as palatal fricatives. However, their original values are preserved after /ɲ/.
- Standard /ʃ/ is traditionally pronounced [ç], but it is now considered obsolete, mostly found in the elderly and in rural areas.
- /ɬ/ is pronounced [θ] in some dialects.
- /ts'/ and /c'/ can be realized as [s'] and [ç'~ʃ'] after another consonant.
- /β/ is realized as an on-glide [w] after a consonant (including itself).
- /p, t, k, ts, c, m, n, ɲ, l, ɾ, s, ʃ, ɬ, h, j/ are the only consonants permitted to occur in coda position. When voiceless ones precede voiced onsets, they become voiced. If the two consonants have the same place of articulation, they merge into a geminated one, e.g. /pp'/ [p'ː]; /pb/ [bː]
- /h/ is realized as [x] when stressed, and as [ʔ] in coda position.
- The cluster /tl/ and /tɬ/ are both realized as the affricate [tɬ͡].
Article 1, UDHR:
- All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
- Uxlisem it'ikitsa moheynas valemre tsamemirbik teksekuat. Varap'iney oyaseis pionyniruem tsunohelgulit naskin manhanytegilaremre.
- ux-lis-em it'i-kitsa moh-ey-na-s val-em-re tsam-em-ir-bik tekse-kuat. vara-p'in-ey oy-as-ey-s piony-niru-em tsuno-hel-gul-it nask-in man-hany-teg-i-lar-em-re
- self-allow-3PL value-weight be.proper-ABST-PL-and be.equal-3PL-conj be.born-3PL-GER-ABL all-man. wise-think-ABST good-hold-ABST-and entrust-3PL.oblique-3PL elder.brother-younger.brother-spirit-POSS mutual-ADV DAT-act-should-EPEN-INST-3PL-conj
This page is under construction. For the (incomplete) Chinese version of its grammar, please see .