Proto-Subumpamese (~1700) to Kava (3138)
This branch originated in eastern Subumpam, but migrated by sea to a western area beginning in the year 2371 and was soon pushed out of its original homeland.
The consonant inventory was
Rounded bilabials: pʷ bʷ w Bilabials: p b m Alveolars: t d n s l Postalveolars: č ǯ ň š ł Palatals: ć y Prevelars: c̀ Velars: k ġ ŋ x g Labiovelars: kʷ ġʷ xʷ gʷ Uvulars: q h Rounded uvulars: qʷ hʷ
- The schwas ə ə̄ shifted to u ū.
- The mid vowels e o rotated to i ə.
- The high vowel i shifted to ə if touching a /q/ in either direction.
- Primordial hʷ w shifted to f v.
- All labialized consonants shift to bilabials.
- The lateral approximant l shifted to w.
- The postalveolar affricates č ǯ ň š ł became c ʒ n s l unconditionally.
- The palatals ć c̀ became č .
- The voiceless uvular stop q changed to k when syllable-final.
- Word-final č became s. čk čq etc > čč. Any other syllable-final č assimilates to the following consonant.
- Any heterorganic stop/aff after a stop turned into a fricative.
- The affricates c ʒ changed to s z when not after a high tone.
- Voiced stops became voiceless when occurring before a high tone.
Thus the final consonant inventory was
Bilabials: p b m f v w Alveolars: t d n s l (c) (ʒ) Palataloids: č y Velars: k ġ ŋ x g Uvulars: q h