- Taazhpuur is an artlang created by Gregory Scaff as a teenager. He intended to create a micronation as a social experiment set on islands on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Taazhpuur was created for this micronation, The Commonwealth of Taazhpuuria, which was established May 31'st, 1980. Eventually Gregory planned to use Taazhpuur in a futuristic novel.
- A paper copy of the complete Taazhpuur grammar and lexicon can be obtained at: [email protected]
- Taazhpuuria is set in a post-apocalyptic, futuristic world something like Burroughs’
Pellucidar, except relocated to the Gulf Coast of Florida. It brims with monstrous creatures and exotic peoples.
- The novel and the Taazhpuur language were meant to articulate a philosophy involving ideals
such as cultural relativism, feminist equality, non-violence, naturism, sex positive diversity, and world-wide environmental and economic stability.
- The Taazhpuur are a polytheistic stone-age culture who are pacifist mariners, live in scattered bands,often in underwater homes forged out of melted sand, wear bone and shell jewelry, go naked or wear fur loincloths, wield harpoons, use skin kayaks, and are flagrantly sexual.
- Spoken in: the future
- Timeline/Universe: personal /art language for Taazhpuuria
- Total speakers: 3,000'ish
- Genealogical classification: A priori
- Based on: Multiple roots, primarily Germanic
- Basic word order: SVO
- Morphological type: agglutinating
- Created by: Gregory Scaff 1979
- [] Taazhpuur Babel translation
- Stress is placed on the second syllable. Punctuation is as in English.
- Taazhpuur can be written both in Taazhpuurian runes, and in Roman script. Each letter, with the exception of Y, has only one pronunciation. There are no double consonants, only double vowels. There are 15 vowels and 22 consonants, plus the additional rune named Uuncis, which is abbreviated as UN. UN stands for a word meaning “between us” and is used only when referring to intimates, spouses or lovers.
- THE TRADITIONAL TAAZHPUURIAN ORDER OF FUTHORC:
- Thoovyos aact:
- F U TH O R C G W
- Thoonourzos aact:
- H N I J AI ZH P S
- Tyeeros aact:
- T B E M L NA D EO
- Aarvithos aact:
- AE A EE Y SH UU OU GU
- Nailubaarmzos aact
- Z Ch OW AA OI V OO UN
- THE RUNES IN ALPHABET SEQUENCE:
- A AA AE AI B C CH D E EE EO F G H I J L M N O OI OO OU OW P R S SH T TH U UN UU V W Y Z ZH
- RUNE PRONUNCIATION AND NAME WITH IPA SYMBOLS:
- A e A as in mate or state. Aansus
- AA ɒ The vowel sound in dog. Daadyu
- AE æ The vowel sound in that or cat. Aeglo
- AI aj The vowel sound in high or pie. Airzees
- B b The consonant B sound as in boy. Baercu
- C k The consonant C sound as in the K of kitchen or keep Cowns
- CH tʃ The consonant CH sound as in chance or chowder. Chaelcyo
- D d The consonant D sound as in dog or deep. Daegs
- E ɛ The vowel E sound as in set or pet. Evuus
- EE i The vowel EE sound in seat or meet. Meedu
- EO eə The vowel sound e as in set or pet followed by the o sound as in hope or dope. Beogud
- F f The consonant F sound as in fright or flicker. Fehoo
- G g The consonant G sound as in get or guppy. Givu
- H h The consonant H sound as in hot or hip. Haegyl
- I ɪ The vowel i as in sit or pit. Ees
- J dʒ The consonant J sound as in jazz or jar. Yaer
- L l The consonant L sound as in leak or lava. Laagus
- M m The consonant M sound as in meet or medal. Maenu
- N n The consonant N sound as in near or net. Neoth
- O o The vowel O sound as in stone or moat. Ogaen
- OI ɔj The vowel OI sound in boy or toy. Beroich
- OO u The vowel OO sound in boot or hoot. Oonaegee
- OU ɔ The vowel OU sound in pour or more. Aurahai
- OW aw The vowel OW sound in sour or ouch. Owthyl
- P p The consonant P sound as in pet or pretty. Paertru
- R r The consonant R sound as in rock or repress. Raidu
- S v The consonant S with a hissing ssssssssss sound as in sing or sun. Saaool
- SH ʃ The consonant SH sound as in shop or sheep. Shel
- T t The consonant T sound as in teach or tip. Tyuus
- TH ð The consonant TH sound as in this or there. Thyooth
- U ə The vowel U as in hut. Uurus
- UN ʊŋ The vowel UU combined with a consonantal -ng Uuncis
- UU ʊ The vowel U sound in fur or purr. Huultho
- V v The consonant V sound as in vapid or vain. Vaer
- W w The consonant W sound as in wanton or whip. Wuunyu
- Y ɪ Before or after L, Y is the vowel I sound as in dill or pill;
- Y j elsewhere, Y is the initial consonant sound as in yes or you. Yeeos
- Z z The consonant z with a buzzing zzzzz sound as in zebra or zap. Aezet
- ZH ʒ The consonant zh sound made by the s in leisure. Uuzhaec
NUMBERS: 1-ain, 2- veg, 3- tra, 4- feor, 5-fimf, 6- hecs, 7-zeof, 8- aact, 9- coo, 10-daen, 11- ylf 12- vegdaen,13- tradaen, 14-feordaen, 15- fimfdaen,16- hecsdaen, 17-zeofdaen, 18- aactdaen, 19- coodaen, 20- vegric, 30- traric, 40- feoric, 50-fimfric, 51- fimfricain, 52- fimfricveg, 53-fimfrictra, 60- hecsric, 70- zeofric, 80-aactric, 90- cooric, 100- tugric 101- tugricain, 102- tugricveg, 150-tugfifric, 251- vegtugfifricain, 1000- cylric,1100- cyltugric, 1251-kylvegtugricfifricain A. 100 + 50= 150; tugric + fimfric = tugfimfric. The highest number drops it’s suffix of –ric as in the tugric in this case, leaving the lowest with its suffix of -ric.
NOUNS All names, titles, and terms of endearment are capitalized. When making a plural in which the initial letter is capitalized, only the l of the pl. form is capitalized. Ex: Aunt n. Ethlyg, pl. Lyethlyg
When adding suffixes to a word which ends in e,u, or i, the final vowel is dropped. Ex.: dronu, hair, dronylu fur. -ylu A diminutive. -os Makes a possessive; daas fimf puurbucos, the cat’s paw, the paw of the cat. The possessive follows the word it posseses, geen Staen Shainaaros, geen huv huvaeryislynos, the head of which.
ly- Makes a plural; geen lypuurbuc, the cats’. The y of ly- rhymes with “lip”. When making a plural with a word which begins with y, skip the initial y. Ex: yoon, acorn, pl. lyoon. 8 When making a plural with a word which begins with i, skip the initial i. Ex: bath, inip, pl. lynip. When making a plural with a word which begins with another vowel besides i, the y of ly- is then pronounced first like the vowel y, then like the consonant y, as in l-i-yu. Ex: eonamin skull, pl. lyeonamin. To make a noun into a verb, simply add the requisite verbal inflection. Comparatives are made by using an adjective such as binictmins, more, or mins, less, with aanu, on, as English than; binictmins feohuursc aanu al lysuuncith, more gorgeous than every sunset When making compound words, the prefix ly-, and the suffixes –lyg and –lyn are deleted. The vowel u is often inserted between the two elements. Ex: micylyn, big; micyl big, gaard, city, Micylugaard, Clearwater, Florida To combine plurals and possessives, Ex: geen lyfimfos lypuurbucos, the (plural) paws of the (plural) cats iscu- Makes a verb out of a noun; Ex: hunger n. huungriz, To hunger inf. v. iscuhuungrizaen.
VERBS The tenses of verbs are as follows: INFINITIVE: ganaen PRESENT: Ic gan I go. PAST: Ic ganai. I went. FUTURE: Ic ganish. I will go. PRESENT PARTICIPLE: Ic ganist I am going. PERFECT PARTICIPLE: Ic ganyow I have gone. FUTURE PARTICIPLE: Ic ganith I will go. OPTATIVE 1: Ic ganust I want to go. OPTATIVE 2: Ic ganuth I must go. OPTATIVE 3 Ic ganush I may, can go To make a verb into a noun, add the prefix aend- to infinitive. Ex: cuucyaen to lick ain aendcuucyaen a licker, lyaendcuucyaen two lickers.
ADVERBS Add suffix “-lyg” to root word to make an adverb. Ex: aashodis, orgasm, aashodislyg, orgasmic. If –lyg is added to a root word which ends in the vowel “ai”, then the i is unchanged in Roman spelling.
ADJECTIVES Add suffix “lyn”, “like” to root words to make an adjective. Example: luuft, air, luuftlyn, airy. Adjectives made from nouns which already end in –lyn do not add the adjectival –lyn. Colors and adjectives made from other adjectives are made by duplication. Ex: blaolyn, blue, blaoblao, bluish. If –lyn is added to a root word which ends in the vowel “ai”,then the i is unchanged in Roman spelling.
SUPERLATIVES FOR ADVERBS AND ADJECTIVES Remove the adjectival or adverbial suffix –lyg or –lyn then add the prefixes bi- (more) or ift- (most). Ex: wislyn calm, biwis calmer, iftwis calmest